Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Patty threw a scare into us

Read Patty her scriptures at 6:25am

Checked on her during my regular schedule yesterday but had to see her at 1:30pm instead of 3:00pm because of a meeting at work.  All seemed to be going well.  When I went to see her after work though things were tense.  Patty's heartbeat had gone sky high and her blood pressure had tanked.  They found internal bleeding right before I arrived and upon my arrival the asked me to step out while they worked on her.  A lot of nurses and techs doing a lot of things to her.  Two doctors were observing their efforts and after a short time came out to clarify with me that there was a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) on her chart.  They asked if that was still my request.  I explained that it was Patty's request and so it was mine also.  They said it would be a while and to keep my phone on but I wouldn't be able to see her until after 8:30pm.  I called the family.  John's family was on the way home to Las Vegas, but they decided to turn around and come back.  He met me at the hospital and we waited until 8:30pm to see her.

When we went in the nurse said they had been able to stabilize her.  The oxygen level was way up from what it had been earlier in the day.  They had increased the draw on the dialysis, given her blood transfusions, stopped the blood thinners and increased the medications necessary to stabilize her blood pressure.  The nurse asked John and I where we were going to be during the night and asked that we keep our phones on.  Her heartbeat was and is as of this morning still high.  They gave her 2 more units of blood during the night.

She had a good night and this morning looks pretty much as she did yesterday morning.  She is one really tough lady and a testimony to the power of prayer.  I told her this morning that I had told Paul & Sylvia in an email yesterday that we would see them next month when they come back from their mission and I expect her to help me keep that commitment.

Sorry the news isn't better, but she is still with us and fighting the good fight.

Love you all, please keep praying.  Remember the magic words.

Steve

6 comments:

  1. Dear Steve and children of Patty: As a "best cousin" most of my life, I am shocked to read about this crisis. Ron and I talked by phone. Ginette Beaver (another "best cousin") also follows the blog daily. We are sending ALL the love we can spare from our own children, and every prayer to our sweet cousin and friend. If we can do anything from southern California, just ask--maybe Sherry needs something? The DNR is on my directive too: I'm 61. My brother Greg recommends for everyone over about 55. He is praying too and calling Ron. Hug that girl for me and tell her we love her SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to let you know that the Merrill's are praying for all of you as well. We love you so much.

    Marilyn (and the rest of the family too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a roller coaster you are all on. I'm so glad that you are still fighting the fight. That sometimes takes all our effort. We are keeping you all in our prayers. We do remember the magic words! Keep the Faith!
    Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are thinking about you so much with love and prayers. Hey! I thought I was the "best cousin" - perhaps that is on the Hope side! Love to you all, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, girl! Thank you, sweet Jesus! This doesn't happen often but I am speechless except when I pray and then it is an endless stream. Hear the cheers that accompany all the prayers. You are getting a standing ovation from all of us! What a group - what a magnificent group!!! Love to you all! Oh yeah, "Thank you, dear Father again and again"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You 2 are my hero's..Fight Aunt Patty Fight...I keep thinking about talking to you on Uncle Steves phone from Iowa and how funny you were..I need you to make me laugh like that again..and the way you and Uncle Steve play off each other...I want to be like that with Joe someday..Know how much your loved...and how much we need you...We are flooding the lines to our Father...

    ReplyDelete