Wednesday, January 19, 2011

More of the same

Read Patty her scriptures at 8:45am

Sorry I'm late.  We had weather last night and the traffic early this morning delayed me enough that I got to the hospital too late to see her before the shift change.

Last night, Sherry and I went up to see her and they had just taken her to get a MRI.  They are still trying to find a reason for her coma.  As of this morning, the results of the MRI are still not known.  Also last night her heart rate spiked and her blood pressure was all over the place.  They said Patty was in (Affib?, it has to do with irregular heartbeat that sort of makes the heart go goofy.  This is a Steve definition not a medical one.) and to get her stable they needed to use drugs.  They administered them while we were there and the heartbeat rate started to decline but didn't really stabilize.  We left when they started a second dose and she calmed down a little.

This morning when I checked on her and read her scriptures, her vitals were as solid as I have seen them for a long time.  Heartbeat was still a little high but it stayed the same the whole time I was there.  Her blood pressure and the marker for the dialysis were excellent.  They related to me that all were being controlled by drugs, but whatever they did had a positive result, so hurray.  Sort of anxious to get the MRI results back.  The CT Scan they did yesterday came back normal.  Yesterday afternoon the neurologist came in and did all types of tests to her (I think some of them were banned when they used them in Guantanamo.)  But, no response.  They are confused and concerned.  The doctor who was responsible for identifying her pneumonia virus and the interstitial lung disease stopped in and said that last year while he was treating multiple cases of the N1 virus he had some patients that did go comatose for no apparent reason but eventually came out of the coma for also no apparent reason.  One lady was in a coma for 3 months.  He said who knows, maybe Patty is doing the same thing.

Anyway, that is what's up today.

Our love to all.  Please keep praying.

Steve

4 comments:

  1. We're praying. I know that when Maisy's heart rate was high it was usually because she was fighting so hard or she had developed a tolerance to the pain medication. Usually fighting the infections caused the elevated heart rate, even when she was on blood pressure medication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying. Going to Bible study tonight and will ask for additional prayers. I will also put a request out on our internet prayer chain. Please do tell her we love her and I am thinking of her constantly. I wonder if the Affib is hereditary. Dad had it and Pat knows that - she & I texted back and forth about it. Thank you so much for posting her progress - I read it every day. I could not figure out how to "post comment" until yesterday - now I feel like I want to write and write - I will stop.
    Love to you all,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. steve, you and patty are in our prayers. stay strong and keep the faith.If you need anything let me know.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many prayers coming your way. I was just telling Jeff last night that I still couldn't believe Patty is so sick, it seems like yesterday I saw her in the library at church so healthy and happy. Please know that our thoughts are with both of you at this time, waiting can be so hard. We have our children praying for her every night too, there aren't any better prayers than those coming from a sincere child.
    -Erin Blackmun

    ReplyDelete